After your account is transitioned to Google you can still keep using outlook. Follow these steps to install the Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook tool on your windows machine. When screenshots are presented items of interest are highlighted in red.
- In a web browser of your choice, go to: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync
- When you get to the site, click on the “Download Google Apps Sync” button.
- Find and run the downloaded file when finished downloading.
- Click “Run” on the security warning. If you get a second warning from user account control you may click “Yes” on that warning as well.
- Type in your complete Champlain email address when the sign-in window appears. Then click continue, you will be prompted for your password.
- After you enter your password the tool will open a browser window where you can accept the terms of using the tool. Click on “Accept”
- After you accept, go back to the “Set Up Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook” window and click on “Create Profile”. Do not import any data at this step.
- After it finishes, click on the “Start Microsoft Outlook” button.
- Choose the profile “firstname.lastname@example.org – Google Apps” it may already be first in the list. You may expand the options by clicking on “Options >>” and then check the “Set as Default Profile” box if you wish. Then click “OK”
- When Outlook launches you will also see the progress of items currently syncing, this window is the actual sync tool, you can close it and re-open it from the system tray icon as needed.
- Tray Icon:
It may take some time for all of your email to show up, please be patient as the sync tool loads the data into your new Outlook profile. If you need to re-open your profile that maps to our Exchange servers on campus just select that profile from the drop down when launching outlook instead of the google apps one.